Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Lord helped me find him!!

Family!
Happy Monday to you! You are all sounding so great! Thank you for all your prayers, kind thoughts and delicious emails. I can't believe my AZ Spanish tongue twin gets home THIS WEEK from Argentina!!!! Give Heather all my love that little cutie! I hope you are all doing well. I love reading Mckay's emails and seeing what he is about. His faith and growth inspires me!

Here's a story that I just can't wait to share with you! (I added a little background that I'm sure Mom and Dad will remember but I put in some extra so the story will make sense!) 
We had a really interesting week. Since last week, I kept having the thought of "former investigators" come to my mind. With starting an area here, we didn't have any. I kept having the thought (which now I can look back and realize that it was a prompting) that we needed to ask the Elders if there were any former's who were women that we could try and intact. I finally called them and they brought some records to us. As I was looking at the records, I stumbled across someone and I almost went into cardiac arrest. Last year when I spoke in church before leaving on my mission, one of my friends from High School brought his roommate from Hong Kong named William who is also a member. I talked with him after and he gave me great advice-- one thing he said to me before I left, I've never quite forgotten. He said, "find my brother. You're the kind of person my brother needs to hear the gospel from. He's 11. When you get to Hong Kong, find him and teach him." Well I never got the name or phone number of his brother and then only when I got to Hong Kong did I realize how valuable referrals were and I have been kicking myself ever since. However, in the pile of former's that the elder's gave us was William's brother and mom! I recognized the pictures and descriptions of this boy and his family that I had met over a year ago in Utah!!! I almost passed out. I have been calling them daily, and haven't been able to get a hold of them yet, but I know I will! It is such a tender mercy of the Lord that I was sent here to Butterfly. I can't wait to meet and teach William's family! I'm praying really hard for it. I'm also going to email William today and ask him more about it, so send prayers their way. I just can't believe it. I mean yes I can, I'm on the Lord's errand but I've been sent to their ward!!!!! pinch me thrice.

While we're on the subject of former's: This past week we have also ran across two former investigators in finding who have interest to come back! The Lord really is blessing Sister Tidwell and I. One of the former's named Yip Jimuih, we were certain was "golden" and we taught her twice, she introduced a friend for us and said she wanted to read the Book of Mormon. But she came back on Saturday and demanded that we take the Book of Mormon back that we had given her and had a long list of excuses why she refused to take it. We took the "5 why's" approach (meaning not taking no for an answer and trying to figure out what her real concern is) and promising her blessings but it just came down to she doesn't want to change or believe in God. My heart broke for her. I was so happy to have found her again and then to have her reject everything about our message and all the blessings just left me feeling like I had been punched. But I am trying to not get down about that and move forward. She will get it one day. We're praying for her.

Mak-Mak is doing really well. Sister Tidwell taught her with a member yesterday after church (while I taught another investigators with another member) and Sister Tidwell had nothing but great things to report! Mak-Mak had already tried talking to her mom about baptism but apparently her mom pretended she couldn't hear her. It sounded like she really opened up though and really bore a great testimony. Mak-Mak is so wonderful. I really have faith that she will be baptized in December. The Lord will, just like President Hawks promised, soften her mother's heart.

We had multi-zone conference this past week. It was wonderful. Sister Hawks talked about being more grateful (which is something I really need to work on!) and President Hawks shared about how we as missionaries are on the Lord's errand so we can promise them specific blessings! Which was perfect because that was something I had been focusing on the week prior. With our call as missionaries we can promise people specific things that they will receive as they exercise faith. What an honor. Sometimes in the crazy world of rejection I'm selfish and lose focus of what I'm doing here. But as I just love these people and love them regardless of my fears, the Lord will bring about miracles. I've seen that time after time here and it's humbling how the Lord will keep teaching us the same lessons over and over and not lose patience with us. I love the Lord and am so grateful for the love he freely gives me.

Among other highlights of the week:
-I ate real pizza! not the kind with seafood of thousand island dressing on it. Real hawaiian (mahalo McKay) delicious pizza!!!! It was soooo good. 
-Lam Jimuih made us (among other things) pig ears last night. I might still be picking the hairs out of my teeth............. yummy yumster.
-We had a missionary talent show. We with the other sister's in our apartment did this cup song (hitting a cup together to a beat) while singing "called to serve." Our district also did a book of mormon skit. Like most talent shows i've been to in HK (they love a good talent show here!) it went waaaay too long but I China's got talent! 
-We got to teach half-pakistan Ann-Ann and her mom again this week. She participated the whole time and is just the cutest thing ever. I wish you all could come here and give them both a hug. They need the gospel so much! 
-Some members invited us to play ping ping (called bing bong in Cantonese) with them and a less active member. Sister Tidwell and I kept trying to get out and let them play but instead they made us play the whole time and would pick up the balls for us. They kept asking us if we were "having fun". Hahahaha. I wish Dad or Spencer could have been there. They kept telling me how good I was and I just kept thinking "you have got to be kidding!" seriously.. among my many not-talents ping-pong bing-bong is right up there.
-The chinese primary program was yesterday. BEST SUNDAY OF THE YEAR. Am I right? so good.

Alright family! I love you all so much. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know God lives and loves each of us individually and perfectly. I love you all so much!!!!! Thank you for your love and emails. miss you everyday. I know that Jesus is the Christ, and that through his Atonement we are never alone.

Have a wonderful week. Love you!!!!
Love, Paak Jimuih

No comments:

Post a Comment