Monday, September 16, 2013

Everybody was Kung Fu Finnnnnddddddinggggggg

Fam- Leihdeih hou ma?!?!?!?! 
This has been such a good week! I'm serious. Every week I learn so much and learn about how little I know. I remember President Hawks saying that I would see the most miracles of my mission in finding, and it is so true... This past week especially. 

On Tuesday, Sister Yeung and I had a few 20 minutes to spare because one of our lessons cancelled. We decided to go to the garden near the church to use our time the most effectively. We prayed to find specifically to find someone prepared that would listen to our message of the Restoration. We went to the garden, and it was closed. We looked at each other, a little confused, because we really felt like we should go there. We decided with the remaining time we had to go to Taap Sec, which was just up the hill nearby. With our copies of the Book of Mormon in hand we talked to everyone as we went, but no one would stop. We got to Taap Sec and within 2-3 people we talked to an 18 year old girl who was named Vicky. She said she had met and prayed with missionaries before but didn't meet with them since. We talked with her for a moment, and then asked her if she would have a few moments and we could show her around the church. As we walked she told us how she felt it was Heavenly Father's plan for us to meet. She said that she had felt she should stay at the library longer and she didn't know why. When she did leave, minutes after the library she met us! Sister Yeung and I testified that we felt the same because we had planned to go to a garden first! She is a college student and an only child, but believes in God. We were able to share a short lesson with her right in the chapel, then teach her the restoration on Saturday, and she came to church on Sunday! I can't wait to see how she keeps progressing as she learns more.

The other finding miracle was last night during Less-Active finding. We went to a place on the outskirts of Macau to go find about 3 less-active members. The buildings weren't marked very well and our addresses we had were incomplete. We found the buildings that we thought were probably the ones we were looking for. There weren't any guards there to open the gate but then a lady came up to go into her house and we thought for sure she would let us come in with her. Well no such luck and she made it clear that we weren't coming in with her. The street was desolate and we had no way of getting inside. We decided to try the next block because the address was incomplete and so we were trying to use our time effectively. The gate was open and we went in. We knocked on the door that we thought was the LA member that we were looking for, but no such luck. We asked one set of very Buddhist neighbors for help but they didn't know, and didn't really want to talk to us. We turned around and saw a family sitting down in their apartment on the other side of the hallway. After asking about the member we were looking for, they said they had no idea. We then introduced ourselves and asked if we could come in for a moment and share a message. The wife said we could and we taught her and her husband!!!!! As we sat down my heart raced, and eyes turned into a slight squinty shape to push back the tears of gratitude. The husband can sort of understand Cantonese, (speaks Mandarin) so Sister Yeung did all the teaching. I felt the Spirit so strong. It reminded me of my first months in Hong Kong where I couldn't understand but I prayed the whole lesson long in my heart. For this lesson, all I could contribute was the opening prayer. The husband has been looking for truth. He said that he feels something in churches that he doesn't feel in Buddhist temples. We were only able to teach a short lesson because they had to leave, but this is a tender mercy of the Lord. After Sister Yeung and I left we grabbed each other, were all smiles, and said a thankful prayer of gratitude. For weeks we have prayed to find and teach a family. Heavenly Father answered our prayers. The Mandarin Elders should be teaching him this week. Sister Yeung and I now know that we need to make our prayers a little more specific and ask to find a Cantonese Chinese speaking family :) 

Pictured is a less active that we have been working with named Lam Jimuih. She was baptized when she was young and doesn't remember hardly any of the doctrine. But she is so nice and every time we come over she feeds us. Unfortunately when it's "share the message time" she likes them short (she's a very much Chinese mother and lets us know when we should be done) but we have been able to start teaching her precious daughters Jessica (12) and Coco. (10) Aren't they the cutest things you've ever seen? Lam Jimuih is always telling us how much her daughters love when we come over. We shared the Restortation this week with them and hopefully we will be able to see them next week. Rachel would love them and they'd be the best of friends.

Other fun facts from the week:
-Mid Autumn Festival. Don't those 3 words together sound enchantingly magestic? Yes my thoughts exactly. That's what's going on right now in China. But I don't know if I tend to get too excited over things or if I'm missing the boat here because it's happening and you could have fooled me because nothing is happening. There's lanterns up everywhere and Mooncakes a plenty but other than that nothing. Let's take a second to talk about mooncakes, shall we? That is what I am pictured with in the featured shot attached. Take a guess about how many calories are in one. I don't know actually but Sister Yeung tells me 1/4 of one equals one bowl of rice. AND THEY DON'T EVEN TASTE GOOD. Honestly I'm fairly sure they're straight up lard with hard boiled egg yolks inside. see yaaaaaaaaa no thanks. Weird. Why a holiday is dedicated to them is truly beyond my made in America head.
-Alex. Oh Alex. He is so great. We decided to crack down on him and get his loving self on the baptismal train. We decided to take some advice from PMG and show him the baptismal record.... saying "you want to get baptized? This is what you're going to need to do." So that's what we did. It was bold and a little frightening and it went really well. After that he didn't talk so much about nothing and was ready to listen to the Plan of Salvation! I love Alex. He's great. A member of the 70 is coming to Macau for a mission tour this week and will be speaking in church next week! Hopefully Alex will keep his commitment and come this Sunday!
-Have I said it lately that I love Chinese people?
-So our investigator Sue played/pet a cat in the street 2 days ago and is now dealing with a skin problem and couldn't come to church yesterday because of it. Does that send chills up anyone else's spine? Love her regardless but yikes. hahahaha We're praying that it heals up ASAP.
-Dad you're so right! Teaching Asian people who don't have distorted views of the Godhead is such a blessing. Teaching them right from square one is like watching a beautiful story begin to unfold. We're teaching a member's friend named Tina. Have I told you about her before? We taught her again this week and as we were giving her the baptismal invite we said, "Are you willing to follow the example of Jesus Christ" and before we could say receive baptism she said "willing."... Stay tuned for what i like to call "Miracles in Tina Corner."
-Oh yes Mom, Amanda is married. Have yet to meet her husband, but we're pushing for it! ETERNAL FAMILY is in their plan... they just don't know/understand it yet.

Well family, there's loads more I'd love to say but mostly I"m here to say THANK YOU FOR THE EMAILS, and I love you so very much. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. President Hawks invited us to carry it around wherever we go and it's changing the way I travel and the way I share the gospel. It's such a powerful book. I know it's true.

I LOVE YOU ALL & praying for you always
XOXOXOXO times infinity to eternity.
Love,
Paak Jimiuh


No comments:

Post a Comment