Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April showers and we can't wait for May flowers!!!

Ashley's latest--

Family,

OH my. Here we are at Wednesday afternoon and I apologize that I haven't been able to hit you with some news this week. We had district temple day so our P-day got switched to today. AWWW YEAAAHHHH. Here we are. Just living on cloud 9 aka the cloud of the Celestial Kingdom because I love the temple. LA LA LA LOVE. You all need to come visit Hong Kong and we can all go to the temple here. Deal or deal? Sweet it's a date. Dare I say... see you in white?

But oh my goodness. I have so much to say and basically have no words. I am not making any sense. It's fine. I don't even know what to tell you. First off, I miss and love you all so much. SO SO MUCH. This week was another dream of a tale. It was connnnnnffeeerrrreeennnnccceeee weekend here in the HK. We had a great week last week and found new investigators, who we just are coddling and loving on their journey to Christ. I love Missionary work. Honestly and truthfully just so much. Why are we the most blessed people on the planet? I don't even know. Let me just say something though. I feel like there is no time to do anything. And most of the time I'm just running around like my head is cut off but it's so happy. The gospel is so true. Every time we find some prepared soul or have a good lesson or even get rejected for 2 hours I'm just thinking to myself, "this church is so true!" only explanation. 

I'm so glad to hear about all the greatest and latest from your little corner in the world. Yes we live about 30-45 minutes from our area, so we have some travel time every day but mhgunyiu! I love it. But yes our apartment is a straight up dream.... we're basically never there but let me just say the only easy thing about missionary work is crawling into that bed every night. 

Okay here is a good story for you. We are teaching a member referral (hi yes it was like trying to pull out front teeth to get referral's in Tai Wai but here in Ma On Shan they have just really caught the spirit of missionary work, what a BLESSING!) anyway her name is Candy. She investigated over 6 years ago. We were supposed to teach her with the member but then last night the member called at the last second and said she couldn't come. aiaiaiaiaiaiai I was a tad (lot) nervous. I know you're thinking "Where's your faith?!" but Sister Olsen and I taught an hour and a half lesson last night. If THAT ISN'T A MIRACLE I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS. Here we are just at the ripe old ages (joke) of 19 & 21 speaking and teaching in Cantonese to a girl who has all sorts of concerns, heartaches, and desires. My favorite comment she made was when she told us that "she wants to be the Holy Ghost." I repeated that phrase back to her in Chinese to make sure I had heard correctly and I'm not sure if it was fortunately or unfortunately that I had. So I mean we spent a lot of time bearing testimony, sharing scriptures, and listening to her. And I can't explain how but the lesson went well and she committed to come to church this Sunday, pray, and read the Book of Mormon. (get some shout out for CPR) but how is Heavenly Father such a miracle worker. I don't understand it. If someone would have told me 6 months ago that miracles such as this were possible I wouldn't have believed you. Before my mission I thought I knew what Faith and repentance were. I had NO IDEA. And the beauty of it is, I probably still don't. But I'm learning. And growing. And hopefully changing. I love the quote by Henry B. Eyring that says, "I can't be a perfect servant every hour, but I can give more effort than I thought I could." ---> this is so true. Heavenly Father doesn't expect us to be perfect, but he does expect us to do our best. That's what I am trying to do every day.

Other highlights include:
-during finding we were talking to this man (very buddhist and probably age 50+) who later unfortunately told me that if he were younger he would like me to be his louhpou aka WIFE. Hiiiiiiiiiiiii or actually at that point it was bye-bye.
-We met this boy/man (age 30.... should I refer to him as a boy or as a man....your call) anyways-named Tim on Monday. We taught him the whole first lesson right then and there and then taught him the Plan of Salvation yesterday and we committed him for baptism on June 2nd. Yep..... WHAT?! I know miracle miracle miracle.
-Conference was so good! We got to watch it in English for the Saturday sessions and then on Sunday we watched the morning session in English and then started watching the afternoon session but then Sister Olsen was obviously inspired to call our investigator Wong Jimuih. (last week's church attender and straight up miracle) and she came to conference!!!!!!! We watched the rest of the session in Cantonese but I had never been happier. We taught her a lesson with the Bishop's wife and let's just say that lesson was crazy (mostly vocab that I didn't understand) But I love Wong Jimuih so much... she has had a lot of sad things happen..... and so she is so prepared to hear this gospel! Pray pray pray we will see her tomorrow! (she's kind of hard to schedule)
-Sister Olsen had her first round of chicken feet. HAHAHAHAHAHA. not even phased anymore. Pigs feet are way worse. and by worse I mean wonderful of course ;)

I'm sorry I don't know what else to share. But I do want you to know that I know this church is true! I know families are forever. Missions are so hard, but so happy. Truly you see the saddest and also the happiest things wrapped in one delicious package as you get to where Jesus's name and talk about peace in a world that needs it so badly. I love this gospel!!!!!!!! I know that it is true. I want to find a family this week, so I'm going to start using that stored up faith :) Families need this church so much. It's changing lives. I know the people of Hong Kong could definitely find the gospel without me, but who would have thought how much I needed them? They are the family I never knew I had. They are help shaping my salvation and I am forever grateful. Thank you for your prayers. When things are tough it is so wonderful to know that I have a wonderful family at home rooting (sp?) for me!!!!!!! Ma On Shan is the happiest place on earth! I love it. And I love you allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll! 

miss you already. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooooxxxooo. Thanks for all the hilarious updates, pictures, and for keeping me in the hip hop happenings. Talk to you so soon!!!!!!
Love you,
Paahk Jimuih
 
Sister Palmer  and Sister Olsen are the cutest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment