Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Comparisons and Contrasts and Updates a Plenty!

Here is Ashley's latest!! Enjoy!!

You-whooooo Family! Leih hou! Greetings. Get in my arms I love you all so much! Your emails are just the funniest. I'm glad this inversion is over.. almost over? Sounds miserable. I hope you all are happy & healthy. I got the cutest postcard this week from all of you!!! Thank you so much. The Chinese people are crazy about it because they have never seen snow in person before. So thank you so much!!! I just went up 12 cool points in their books. Also, I feel like there is so much to tell you, & I am probably leaving out things you all would really like to know. If you have questions, comments or  concerns will you please send them my way? I am probably trying to give you all the big details that I am leaving out crucial smaller & connecting ones. Anyways, let me know. Mhgoisai!
Alright I made like any good TV show last week & left you with a cliff hanger so here it is: It is now time for me to compare and slightly contrast 2 of my favorite places, Hong Kong, China & Disneyland, USA. 
-The transportation in Hong Kong is unreal. The MTR is exactly like the Monorail. Except for one slight difference. The HK (lingo for Hong Kong) has soooo many people. So 8 times out of 10 you get on the MTR you have to think supple-framed thoughts and slide right in there as you whiz past the towns packed in there like sardines. I'm grateful.

-The Mini Bus. It is STRAIGHT UP Mr. Toad's wild ride. (Also, Wade it's the closest thing to the Knight Bus that I think can legally exist among muggles.) They are these small buses that only fit 16 passengers that you can ride to get across the towns & I'm not trying to scare you but it is a miracle that we don't get in a car accident. They are just maneuvering so quickly & I'm holding on for dear life. I really love riding them though. You have to hold on because they are just the bounciest. Whenever Sister Nielsen says it's mini bus time I honestly get so excited!!!! 

-There are people walking around & cleaning up Hong Kong. Yes. Hong Kong has cast members cleaning up their city too. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. You know what I"m saying?

-They have the best trees here. One of these trees nearby one of our member's chuyns takes me back to a certain ride at Disneyland. It's a line that has an invetiable wait... fast pass or no. I'm talking about Indiana Jones. Sorry this explanation makes no sense. I'm trying to be fast, nostalgic, and poetic & failing miserably. Anyway, just know that there are these trees here that look like the shrubbery as you wait in line on Indiana Jones. 

-Speaking of jungles--who's speaking of jungles? Well no one, but now that I mentioned it, Let us all remember that ride we went on, aka the Jungle Boats at Disneyland where we had that crazy tour guide & I tied my scarf around my head... remembering? Ok so there we were. Just doing Weekly Planning at our church & what do we see in the back yard? If you guessed 2 monkeys you win a gaak jai bang! I tried to get pictures but they just didin't turn out. I need to get a new camera asap. Isn't that crazy though? I'm literally living in a jungle here in Tai Wai.

-They have delicious snacks here in Hong Kong... except the difference is they are literally the cheapest where in contrast on Main Street at Disneyland you are saying not only good bye to your waist but also to a small portion of your life's savings.

-Finally, people like to dress up in Hong Kong. Yes, the Mouse that started it all can be seen in Disneyland. (i.e. Mickey) But, people dress up like cartoon or video game characters and walk around in public here in Hong Kong. For what reason you ask? I have no idea. But my goal is to get a picture with someone so you can see for yourselves as to what I am talking about. I love love love it!

Okayyyyyyy let me now hurry and tell you about my week because my time is nearing a close.
-Lulu continues to be the most golden person I have ever met. I am convinced she is one of the 3 Nephites. We taught her the Word of Wisdom this past week & we were a little nervous because Chinese New Year is next week & they love their teas here. Well I gave myself a good beating because guess what? No one is surprised because her only concern was, "Can I still eat chocolate?" I'M SORRY WHAT? How is she not translated yet? I love her so much!!!!! She is doing wonderfully. Thank you so much for your prayers for her!

-This week was honestly incredible. We taught 2 families! One of them was a referral from one of my favorite members, A-May. The Mom's name of the referral family is A-Miuh & she is a dream. She is so nice & has a husband & two daughters. Her youngest daughter is named Pinky (love me some Chinese names!) and oh my heck I need to get a picture with her asap. She is my favorite. I helped her with her English homework & she just kept calling me Paahk Louhsi. She was petting my eyelashes, we sang head shoulders knees and toes, & I just ate her up for breakfast! Pray for this family. They are so special. We taught a brief first lesson. The husband listened but wouldn't even look at us. So, they will take time, but it is so worth it!

-We had 4 new investigators this week. (MIRACLE!!!! There were some days we were teaching 3-4 lessons a day.. it was so good!) I am so sorry I am about out of time so I will tell you more about them next week. Keep praying for them! I love them all so much. Our investigators and the members here in Hong Kong I feel like are all my lost best friends from the Pre-Mortal life. I love them!

I want you all to know that I know this Church is true. I know I can't speak Cantonese, but that it doesn't really matter because the Spirit speaks through me, and that is the most incredible thing I have ever been able to witness. I know that God loves his children and that he answers prayers through the Book of Mormon. I know Jesus Christ's atonement covers all sins & pains. I know he lives!

Please know that I love you all so very very much!!!! I pray for you each & every day!!!!
Love, Paahk Jimuih
 
Ashley and her companion with her favorite English student, Regina.
 

Dragon Fruit. She loves it!!

 Ashley with one of her new investigators, Carmen!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment